Welcome to Kolhapur Tourism
Kolhapur, the land of magnificent temples, is the religious pride of Maharashtra. Nested in the tranquil laps of the Sahyadri mountain ranges, it is situated on the banks of the river Panchganga. Also termed as a city of palaces and gardens, it is a historic Maratha city, with the Mahalakshmi temple forming the focus. Arts, aristocracy and graciousness, combined with culture stepped in spiritualism, education and modernization.
Founded by Chhatrapati Tarabai, this princely state flourished under the reign of Chhatrapati’s of Kolhapur, especially under the legendry Rajarshi Shahu Chhatrapati Maharaj and Rajaram Chhatrapati Maharaj who set a vision and laid the foundation of modern Kolhapur. The crowning glory of the district of Kolhapur is the Ambabai (Mahalakshmi) Temple, where pilgrims in millions come every year to seek her blessings. There is a strong belief after one worships Lord Balaji at Tirupati, offering prayer to goddess Mahalakshmi is essential to complete the pilgrimage.
Kolhapur, known as 'Dakshin Kashi' is one of the most prosperous and joyous city of India in Southern Maharashtra in western Ghats. Kolhapur, the town of goddess Mahalakshmi is gifted with an incredible archeological & cultural heritage, magnificent temples, monuments, forts, lakes and gardens. Kolhapur is world famous for Kolhapuri Chappals & Jaggery. Flushed with tourists all around the year ,city is equally famous for special Kolhapuri Misal and Kolhapur Rassa and many more mouth watering delicacies.
Important Phone Numbers
- Siddhagiri Math (Kaneri Math) : 0231-2671059 / Mahesh : 9403667177 / Vikram : 9421781843
- Shree Mahalaxmi Mandir Devasthan Samiti : 0231-2626147
- New Palace Museum : 0231-2656020, 2656054
- Town Hall Museum : 0231-2540481
- Chandrakant Mandare Kaladalan : 0231-2525256
- MTDC Office : 0231-2652935, 2659435
- Railway Station Inquiry : 0231-131, 1331, 2654389, 2657390
- Central Bus Stand : 0231-2666674