This stately neo-gothic structure built in 1872-76 by Charles Mant is a museum displaying artifacts from the Satavahana period discovered in excavations at nearby Bramhapuri Hill. The ancient artifacts include figurines of the Greek god Poseidon, riders on an elephant, and a medallion with Hellenistic figures (replica only), pottery fragments, coins and beads. There is a raised gallery in the museum which has weaponry on display.
The Town Hall Museum has been recently renovated. There are seven corridors or dedicated galleries for various archeological relics- metallic artifacts, sculpture, ivory filigree and sandalwood work, weapons, paintings, old coins and individual images photos. Information and photos of historic monuments, places, customs and traditions of Kolhapur city are also on display in this museum.
The Museum is encompassed by lush gardens covering 7-8 acres of land. The Town Hall Gardens are home to some very exotic species of plants, shrubs and trees. The gardens are well-planned and are the lungs of the area.